Tuesday, July 14, 2009

"Winning isn't everything; it's the only thing!"

I want to take a minute and explain how I came up with this particular blog title. The phrase "Winning isn't everything; it's the only thing!" is one of the most popular and misunderstood quotes in sports. The credo gained national exposure in 1959 when Green Bay Packers coach Vince Lombardi shouted it during his opening talk on the first day of training camp. Many people believe that this saying is fuel for "over-competitiveness" and that winning a game is truly unimportant in the grand scheme of things. One blogger wrote a post called "'Winning isn't Everything...it's the Only thing' Is a Big Fat Lie!" The author writes "It is the notion of winning all the time that is so in grained in our society that we do all kinds of things including ignoring our higher sense of self to achieve it. At times we are willing to do "whatever it takes" even if it means not doing the right thing." This man is completely and utterly misinformed.

My father is currently reading (and loving) Vince Lombardi's book. On the car ride to Dana Farber he was explaining to me how, in the book, coach Lombardi addresses this misinterpretation and the true meaning of the famous phrase. Coach Lombardi explains that, contrary to popular belief, he was not referring to winning in terms of the end result. He truly did not care whether his team won or lost, he simply wanted his players to "win" by preparing physically, mentally and emotionally TO THE BEST OF THEIR ABILITY EACH AND EVERY DAY. Anyone can win or lose on any given day, the end result depends heavily on luck, fate and many more factors beyond our control. Coach Lombardi simply wanted his players to focus on the factors which they had control over in order to give themselves the best chance of winning in the end. Once the team reached this level of preparation the end result became irrelevant because they had already won.

I truly believe in my heart of hearts that my father personifies this concept. He understands that he may beat this cancer or he may not, but no matter how hard it gets he is going to do everything he can to prepare for the battle and that in itself is a victory. I feel as if we all need to take on this persona and prepare ourselves physically, mentally and especially emotionally for this battle in order to "win" (whatever that may be).

So please pray for my father and remember..."Winning isn't everything; it's the only thing!"

I love you Dad.

4 comments:

  1. Beautifully said. So many prayers coming his way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't know how many healing thoughts and prayers and blessings attributed to knowing each of you are coming to your family....let them envelop each of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have become such an extraordinary man. I am so very, very proud of you. You give me strength and I will always have hope. I have always said how blessed I was to have your Dad in my life and because of him and your Mom, I also have you and Kasey. I don't know any man as wonderful as your Dad. This is a wonderful thing you are doing. Thank you so very much. I love you, Nick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you, Nick and knowing that you will have a most positive outcome in your call today.
    Allow yourself to "feel" the enormous outpouring of love that you are receiving....that is all because of the person you are.

    ReplyDelete