Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Diagnosis

Monday, July 13th 2009 was the worst day of my life. At 9:00 AM my father, mother, sister and I went to Dana Farber to finally hear the official diagnosis of my father's illness. As it turns out, my father has probably had pancreatic cancer for about a year now. The doctors informed us that there is no way we could have known and that the disease would not have presented itself during his physical in December. Over the course of the past year the disease has spread to his liver and possibly his lungs and brain (although these are unconfirmed EDIT: (7/14/09 2:55PM) It has been confirmed that he does NOT have brain cancer :) ). The cancer has been classified as Stage IV and they have informed us that there is little to no chance that his body will ever rid itself completely of the disease. His treatment consists of chemotherapy and a pill (I can't remember the name of it) and he starts his weekly treatment this Wednesday. He will most likely feel pretty drained for 24-48 hours following the treatment and then be himself for the remainder of the week. He is SO very excited to finally stop all the testing and start the treatments; we're finally moving forward!

There are a lot of very scary statistics surrounding life expectancy and stage IV pancreatic cancer, but my Dad does not care, neither do I and neither should anyone else. I have spent the last two and a half years of my college education studying statistics and I have come to the conclusion that they mean absolutely nothing. This is especially true when it comes to health statistics because there are so many factors that vary from case to case. Even though the statistics say MOST people don't survive this disease that should not scare you, because MOST people are older than 59, MOST people have a family history of cancer, MOST people have smoked cigarettes or drank regularly, MOST people have been sick at least once over the past 22 years, and MOST people are afraid of the disease and are willing to give in. Well, my Dad isn't most people; he is the strongest, happiest, healthiest and most stubborn person I have ever known. He is not your typical cancer patient, so don't expect typical results! I have complete faith that he will live his life to the fullest and live as long as humanly possible no matter what the circumstances are.

God bless my father.

8 comments:

  1. This is SO true. Steve is a fighter :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot write enough about how important one's attitude is in facing this....I agree immensely with what you say about statistics. I am happy to meet another stubborn person(like me)as this is what it takes to WIN at this. Strong, happy, extremely aware....who else reads and listens to Eckhart Tolle and shares those writings and knowledge with others. A man who has the courage and audacity to WIN this battle. My thoughts are with each of you...and Nick, the deep devotion and love you have for your family is inspiring. That gives Steve the impetus to fight in EVERY way imaginable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The religious views in my facebook profile has been Steve Planeta for over a year now, and I'm not planning on changing it anytime soon. All my best and the best from our family to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Of all the forces that make for a better world, none is so powerful as hope. With hope, one can think, one can work, one can dream. If you have hope, you have everything.'
    Unknown author.
    That HOPE which Steve exhibits is going to make an enormous difference in this situation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't agree with you more. I clearly remember the day I put down the book of statistics on stage IV breast cancer and decided I was NOT a statistic! Here I am five years later. I am living proof that miracles do happen. Believe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank God for the miracle of you, Linda. Alyssa and I have experienced a miracle also. It's not crazy to "blow" down those statistics given by some physician; it is imperative! Those miracles surely change our priorities and outlook, don't they? My favorite bumper sticker....Believe in Miracles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. CANCER IS SO LIMITED by: Kristen Homandberg
    It can't cripple love
    It can't shatter hope
    It can't corrode faith
    It can't eat away peace
    It can't destroy confidence
    It can't kill friendship
    It can't shut out memories
    It can't silence courage
    It can't invade the soul
    It can't conquer the spirit
    It can't steal eternal life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. CANCER IS SOOOOO LIMITED and.....
    IT WILL NOT STEAL STEVE AWAY from his EXTRAORDINARY loving family and innumerable friends who BELIEVE in STEVE.

    ReplyDelete